Restricted Brands on Amazon
Please read this very carefully as there are a lot of traps, if you don’t know how this works.
This is a partial list of restricted brands on Amazon. If you try to list any of these brands, Amazon's automated system will usually block you from doing so. But, if you do manage to list a restricted brand (or product), and Amazon finds out, they will kill your listing and issue a policy warning. I know that is unfair —but that's the way it is.
The reason this is a partial list, is that Amazon does not want sellers to know the names of companies on the restricted list. This way, sellers who buy RA items can have their listings killed and get stuck with the products, thereby causing sellers a financial hardship in the hopes this will prevent them from selling Retail Arbitrage products
Let me explain what is going on. Amazon is trying to kill OA and RA sellers. They do not want that business model to exist on Amazon. So Amazon has approached all the big brands (and some smaller ones) and told them that they can register their brands on Amazon AND ask Amazon to restrict their brand so only their authorized dealers can list items (with their explicit permission).
Now - here is the problem (and a possible solution):
About 80% of the time, if you try and list a restricted brand (or product), Amazon will block you. One way to determine if a brand is restricted before you buy it, is to try and list the product (You can do this with a mobile device from the store).
As I said - this only works approximately 80% of the time. In the other 20%, Amazon lets you list the item —and a day or two later, Amazon kills your listing and you get a policy violation. So here is what you can do: If you go to list an item that you think might be restricted, open a support case and ask Amazon before you create the listing. This will cause 2 things: 1) Amazon will answer you with a yes or no, and 2), if Amazon keeps getting support cases by the hundreds, they might eventually publish the complete restricted list.
As I explained, there is no way to know if this is a complete list, because Amazon doesn't publish it, but it is a good starting point.
This list was assembled from various sources and is updated as we get new information. If you happen to come across any other companies that should be on this list and aren't please use the contact form on the website to email me and I will update the list.
You might also want to investigate CheckPermission. Experienced Amazon (U.S.) sellers, use CheckPermission for instant, on-page notification that tells them whether not they are authorized to sell any Amazon product!
Now to the list of restricted items on Amazon, note that it was last updated 7/13/2017.
Health & Beauty:
Home & Kitchen:
© 1999- Harry McGrath, Inc., DBA Skip McGrath, Auction Seller's Resource and Vision-One Marketing. All Rights Reserved.
Home | Newsletters | eBay Training | Free Articles | Tools & Resources | Web Wholesale Search | Testimonials | Blog
Please Note: Some of the products and services mentioned in this website, in articles, banner ads and newsletters and blog posts are for products and services for which I earn a referral fee or commission. We always evaluate anything we recommend very carefully and each year we turn down literally dozens of opportunities to recommend products or services where we can earn a commission. Even though we earn a fee on some of our recommendations, we only recommend products and services that we feel will deliver good value and with rare exceptions, they all come with a money back guarantee.