When a retail store wants to clear out slow selling or end-of-season merchandise they have a sale. eBay’s Markdown Manager allows eBay sellers to do the same thing.
You can now run sales from your eBay stores with eBay’s Markdown Manager. Best of all it’s a free tool available to any store owner.
eBay sellers can create sales that are seasonal, for specific holidays, for specific categories, or just to clear out inventory. Sales can promote your eBay Store and encourage buyers to browse and buy.
Listings can be discounted by a percentage amount or discounted by a specific money amount. For example, a listing that is selling for $10 can be discounted by 20% or, alternatively, $2. This means the item is on sale for $8 in both cases. eBay requires that all items must be discounted by a minimum of 5%.
The sale price of your listing will appear as a Buy It Now price anywhere on the site your listings would normally appear. Sales will also show up for buyers with a special look (strikethrough pricing and the calculated discount) in the following areas:
- View Item pages
- Cross Promotions on the View Item page
- Search results within a Store
- Express View Item page
- Items I’m Watching
- Items I’m Watching Ending Soon email
- Stores Promotions boxes
- Seller Email Marketing
How To Create and Manage Sales in Markdown Manager
You can create and view scheduled, active, and inactive sales within your Store in Markdown Manager. Sales can be scheduled for a later date or rescheduled once they’re over. To create sales in Markdown Manager:
- Go to your My eBay page.
- Click the "Marketing Tools" link in the left-hand navigation.
- Click the "Markdown Manager" link in the left-hand navigation.
- Click the Create button.
- Once a sale is created, you will receive a success message
As with everything, eBay does, they have some rules for markdown manager
- Revising a price of an item in the Revise My Item flow will remove the item from a sale.
- Most sales will be processed within 1 minute. However, in some unusual cases, it could take as long as 6 hours.
- The price of an item must be discounted by a minimum of 5%.
- There are minimum and maximum durations for sales. A sale cannot be longer than 45 days but not shorter than 1 day. The minimum duration between sales is 1 day.
- If you have listings in multiple currencies and choose to discount by an amount (not a percentage), that discount will be in the currency of the listings and will not be converted. For example, a discount entered as "5" will be CN$5 for Canadian listings and US$5 in the United States.
So you might want to give eBay’s Markdown Manager a try.
- The Complete eBay Marketing System by Skip McGrath
Learn how to sell on eBay with the only complete marketing system available on the market today