Hot Buttered Rum
Its that time of year. Its the holiday season and with that comes the cold weather. What could be better on a cold rainy or snowy day than a cup of Hot Buttered Rum. Here is my maternal grandmother’s recipe. I think I had my first sip from my Grandma’s cup when I was 14, but they would never give me my own mug of the good stuff until I grew up. ENJOY!
- 1 stick of softened unsalted butter
- 1 Bottle dark rum
- Boiling water
- 2 cups of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (grate real nutmeg for best flavor)
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt (If you don’t have Kosher salt, just use a pinch of regular table salt.
Cream the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a bowl. Refrigerate 1/2 hour. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water, stir well and serve.