Amazon has been experimenting with a new keyword system. Here are the details and my comments:
Amazon limits the length of the search terms attribute to less than 250 bytes (characters).
The search terms limit applies to newly-registered as well as existing ASINs.
Note: If an ASIN’s search terms equal or exceed the length limit, none of its search terms is indexed.
Tips for optimizing your search terms:
- Stay under length limit (250 characters including spaces).
- Include synonyms. Kosher – Ritually Pure
- Include spelling variations; no need for misspellings. Airplane – Aeroplane
- Include abbreviations and alternate names.
- You can use all lower case.
- You don’t need punctuation, such as ; : , – .
- Separate words with spaces.
- Don’t repeat words within the search terms field.
- Don’t repeat words from other fields, such as Title or Brand Name.
- Don’t include your brand or other brand names in search terms.
- Don’t include ASINs in search terms.
- No need for stop words, such as “a,” “an,” “and,” “by,” “for,” “of,” “the,” “with,” and so on.
- Use singular or plural; no need for both.
- No temporary statements, such as “new,” or “on sale now.”
- Don’t use subjective claims, such as “best,” “cheapest,” “amazing,” and so on.
- Don’t add abusive or offensive terms.
- There is no need to mix languages. For example, U.S. ASINs with English search terms are automatically translated into Spanish, if customers are browsing amazon.com in Spanish.
To add search terms:
- On the Inventory tab, click Manage Inventory.
- Click Edit, which is to the right of each product listed.
- On the page that opens, click the Keywords tab and enter your keywords in the Search Terms
The number one thing you wants to take away is the statement by Amazon: If an ASIN’s search terms equal or exceed the length limit, none of its search terms is indexed. So be very careful not to exceed the 250 bytes’ limit in the search term field of your listing.
If you are not sure what that field is – here is a screenshot:
One of the more important takeaways is, Amazon will no longer search bullets and descriptions for keywords. Going forward, the Amazon search engine will only look at the title and the listing keyword field. This has not yet been implemented 100%, but will be completely phased into all categories and all listings over the next few months.