Today’s post is a guest post by Sonya Moore, a professional writer. This post is aimed primarily at using keywords to build website traffic, but in my experience many of these keyword strategies will work on Amazon and eBay also.
Description: Keywords are at the core of digital marketing. Learn how to create an effective keyword list for growing website traffic & revenue. Make use of keyword targeting to increase sales and organic traffic.
The goal of any e-commerce website is to increase the number of people aware of their brand. You have probably spent months cultivating quality content for your site—from text to images. But all that is insufficient in increasing website traffic ranks. How exactly do you increase traffic? The key to this lies in how you got to this website—search engines. Search engines like Google match the words you enter into the search bar with articles and websites that contain the same keywords. The articles that have the most popular keywords tend to be shown at the top of the search list. So, as you have probably already guessed, effective keyword targeting is the key to increasing your website’s traffic, and thus sales. Read on to learn how to create an effective keyword list for growing website traffic & revenue.
- Establish your goal
As with any plan, you need to have a set of goals. When it comes to SEO, there are two main goals or directions you can take: optimizing for traffic or optimizing for conversion. The only difference between the two is what you want your readers to do at the end—are you satisfied that they went to your website or do you want them to act on what they read, for instance, to buy your products? Once you have established this, you can move on to determining more specific goals. These goals will determine the next steps you will take.
- Conduct initial research
SEO is a very precise practice. You can’t just pull keywords out from thin air. Rather, the keywords are determined by analytics conducted on key search done by the general public. Here’s how to find keywords for SEO:
- Use Google Analytics to find the keywords that have contributed to traffic in your website and list them down.
- Alternatively, you can list down the services or products that you offer. These will serve as the base for your search for your initial search. For example, a website like Custom Essay Meister which offers custom coursework essays could use “custom coursework” as keywords.
- Perform a keyword research with Google Adwords. Google Adwords is the easiest keyword tool to use. Google Adwords will show you more specific keywords related to your topic. You can also filter the results based on your location and other targets. Another incredible thing about Google Adwords is it tells you how high or low the competition in a keyword is as well as search volume and relevance. So, if you’re still starting, you can first focus on low to medium competition keywords.
- Another way to determine the most effective keywords is by using a keyword planner tool, such as Google Keyword Planner. Tools like this will tell you the keywords it thinks are relevant to your website. All you need to do is feed it your site’s URL. You can return to Google Adwords and check the keywords’ competition, search volume, and relevance.
- Prioritize your keywords
Your initial keyword research should render about 40 or more keywords. You may know how to do keyword research, but it won’t be of any use if you don’t know how to use it strategically. Naturally, you can’t use all of the keywords that turn up as it will overcrowd your website. This is why you should choose the keywords that are most relevant for your business. Unfortunately, there are no tools to help you do this. The best option is to do this manually. We suggest referencing the data you gathered from the tools you used with your knowledge of your business. You can start by weeding out keywords that are not relevant to your topic, then keywords that don’t have high potential.
- Improve website keyword traffic
Having targeted or specific keywords increases the likelihood of finding unique words. These unique words could contribute to your ranking. Likewise, strategic usage and placement of keywords are invaluable. Keep in mind to make use of all aspects of your website in using keywords. That means, keywords are not limited to the text, but could also appear in the title, URL, meta data, image alt text, etc. These increase your chances of getting recognized by search engines.
- Work on a strategy
Now that you know your keywords, it’s time to utilize them in the context of your goals. You can opt for content marketing, topic marketing, niche marketing, retargeting, and such. Pick which, or which combination of, marketing strategy works best with your goals.
- Converting clicks to sales
We have talked about how can you improve your keyword search results, but we all know that is not the only thing you, as a business, want to get out of SEO. What you need to know now is how to improve sales or increase conversion.
A tip that SEO experts always say is to bank on long-tail keywords. Long-tail keywords generally have low competition but deliver quality clicks. People who use long-tail keywords know exactly what they are looking for, so they generally are the ones who act on their searches—in other words their clicks are converted to sales. The words that will be left behind can be used to drive up keyword marketing on your website.
SEO marketing requires in-depth analysis and intricate planning. How to create an effective keyword list for growing website traffic and revenue is the foundation of effective SEO marketing.