I continue to get questions from readers about Why I left eBay and am no longer writing books and newsletters about it. Here are a few of my opinions:
- Amazon now outsells eBay by almost 10 to 1
- Most of my regular readers and those who find me on the web tend to be new online sellers. Over the past couple of years, eBay has taken steps to discourage new sellers with onerous rules and policies
- eBay and PayPal are parting ways leaving several million PayPal members without the ability to pay for eBay purchases
- eBay has downsized their US workforce and now experiences almost constant technical and platform issues that affect both buyers and sellers
- eBay is setting up their own Payment system. The last time they tried this it was a total disaster and I do not have any faith in them doing so again
- eBay’s return & refund policies do not lend themselves to the eBay style of doing business. They are trying to copy Amazon, but the Amazon platform works in an entirely different way.
- Constant policy and operational changes that rarely benefit sellers –many of them just happen without any warning or pre-announcement
These are just a few of my reasons –and of course, these are based on my opinions formed by selling on eBay for almost 20-years.